Thursday, August 12, 2010

What Did You Do For Liberty Today?

We all want a free, peaceful and prosperous country. How do we achieve that? Hoping for it? Check this list from the Foundation for Economic Education.......

Daily Liberty Checklist

 What Did You Do For Liberty Today?

(put a check mark next to any that apply):

____ I raised it in a conversation and hopefully turned on a light in at least one person’s mind.

____ I defended it when it was challenged by error.

____ I improved my own knowledge of the literature of liberty so as to become a better advocate.

____ I wrote a letter-to-the-editor in liberty’s defense.

____ I recommended a good article, book or film that advances values consistent with a free and civil society.

____ I sent a personal check to an organization I know to be working for the advancement of liberty ideas.

____ I resisted temptation to subvert liberty by accepting something from government that didn’t belong to me.

____ I took action to clean up my own act so that I can be a solid exemplar of the virtues necessary for a free society to flourish.

____ I checked out at least one textbook my son or daughter was assigned in school, explained to my offspring any fallacies I found, and complained to the school about any that were especially egregious.

____ I told at least one of my representatives that if he or she ever voted for more government again, I would pull out all the stops to see him or her defeated in the next election.

____ I told my college or university alma mater that if they didn’t start hiring faculty who know how to present and defend the case for free enterprise, they’ll never, ever get another dime from me.

____ I did nothing at all for liberty today, except enjoy the fruits of it while leaving the battle for its restoration and preservation to others. I was essentially a liberty freeloader today.

Lawrence W. Reed is president of the Foundation for Economic Education in Irvington, New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments at length. All that I ask is that you keep it clean and do not personally attack anyone. Thanks.